Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting COUNTY GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Family thank neighbours for help during Taunton garden fire
A FAMILY has thanked quick-thinking neighbours who put their lives on the line to help stop a raging fire reaching their house.
Vicki Moore, 28 and her husband Nick, 43, were watching television at their home in Cheddon Road, Taunton, on Friday (February 22) night when they heard two explosions.
Mr Moore investigated outside and when he opened the back door he was greeted with flames heading towards the house.
Mrs Moore said: “My husband said ‘get everybody out’ as he tried to put the fire out.
“Three neighbours nearby helped him and it is just a massive thank you to them for ringing the fire service and looking after my husband.
“It was all a bit of a scare.”
Mrs Moore and her three children, Kaden, nine, Leon, eight, and Bethany, five, left through the front of the house to safety.
As Mr Moore tackled the flames at the back of the property he almost collapsed due to smoke inhalation but one of the neighbours arrived just in time to pull him away before taking over the hosepipe to tackle the flames.
Mr Moore was treated by ambulance crews and the family, who have lived at the house since 2008, say they are in the process of clearing up all the rubble the fire has left in their garden.
A Devon and Somerset Fire spokesman said they sent one fire engine and four firefighters to the scene and believe the fire started in a pile of rubbish at the back of the two-storey property.
Is community spirit still alive? Would you help your neighbours out? Let us know.