Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting COUNTY GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
At risk Taunton firefighters thank public for cuts support
8:00pm Monday 18th February 2013 in News
FIREFIGHTERS who fear cuts could see 20 frontline jobs axed at Taunton Fire Station have thanked the public in the town for their “amazing support”.
Hundreds of people have already backed the Fire Brigades Union campaign to force bosses to think again about getting rid of 20 of the 50 full-time firefighters with part-time retained staff covering their work.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service chief fire officer Lee Howell announced the proposals last month as part of £5.5million cuts blamed on a reduction in Government funding.
The measures have gone out to public consultation.
Taunton firefighter Wayne Withey, of the FBU, said: “We’ve had amazing support from the public and I’d like to think councillors will take notice.
“It was surprising how few people realised exactly what’s being proposed for Taunton, but when they heard they said they were backing us.”
Firefighters are out in Taunton town centre again on March 16, when they hope to collect more signatures.
People can also show their support on-line and on Twitter @fbutaunton